La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Devo Sues McDonalds Over Happy Meal Toy

Recently, my son bemoaned the fact that his beloved Happy Meal toy was American idol themed and he hoped he could exchange it for something “more cool”. Apparently he wasn’t the only one who took umbrage to this theme. Devo (the band) are suing the bosses of McDonald's over the use of the band's likeness in a Happy Meal toy.

The band claim the "American Idol" tribute figure, New Wave Nigel, was based on their famous image, as seen in their "Whip It" video.

(New Wave Nigel could not be reached for comment however, his lawyer , the Grimace issued a terse “No comment.” )

Devo bass player Gerald Casale, who came up with the band's odd jumpsuited look, says, "We're in the midst of suing them. They didn't ask us anything. Plus, we don't like McDonald's, and we don't like American Idol, so we're doubly offended."

Hmmm… I wonder how many people took double offense to the release of Devo 2.0 last year?

“Crrr-ack that whip!”

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Hmmmm, I don't like McDonalds or American Idol either. Perhaps I am more Devo than I realised.

Hey, is this just coincidence or cosmic design? Just as I clicked over to your place, Here Comes a Regular came on shuffle.

Sean Wraight said...

Nothing some musical fortuitousness to make your day Barb. And one of my favourites by the Mats. Takes me to an Autumn day though, leaves blowin' off the trees, chill in the air...

I think we have to be pro Devo in this case. I think New Wave Nigel might have to get his hat replaced with a safety pin and razor blade.

s