La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Friday, October 17, 2008

R.E.M’s Murmur Deluxe Edition Out November 25th


A friend recently remarked that I am beginning to sound like a ‘broken record’ when it comes to writing about my favourite records. Let the record show (no pun intended) I am merely performing a valuable public service by informing interested readers about the wealth of good music available to us. Furthermore if I can prevent the purchase of one more Angels and Airwaves cd I can die a happy audiophile.

That in mind, some terrific news today that R.E.M. will give their classic debut album, 1983's Murmur, a deluxe reissue on November 25th. The deluxe package, which comes courtesy of I.R.S./UMe, features two discs and liner notes with comprehensive essays from producers Mitch Easter and Don Dixon, as well as a handful of former I.R.S. executives.

Now for the good stuff… The first disc of the reissue is a remastered version of the original album, and the second contains a previously unreleased concert the band played at Larry's Hideaway in Toronto just a few months after the album came out. In addition to Murmur songs, that set includes tunes from the Chronic Town EP, a Velvet Underground cover, and early versions of songs from 1984's Reckoning and 1986's Lifes Rich Pageant.

R.E.M. fans will recognize this oft bootlegged show from Larry’s Hideaway; I for one look forward to an improved recording of said legendary performance. I saw the Fall at Larry’s that year and it changed my musical outlook forever. (I like to think for the better). My apologies though if that outlook sounds a bit like a broken record.

R.E.M. continue their world tour in South America to promote Accelerate through November.

Murmur (Deluxe Edition) Tracklisting:
Disc 1

01 Radio Free Europe
02 Pilgrimage
03 Laughing
04 Talk About the Passion
05 Moral Kiosk
06 Perfect Circle
07 Catapult
08 Sitting Still
09 9-9
10 Shaking Through
11 We Walk
12 West of the Fields

Disc 2 (Live at Larry's Hideaway):

01 Laughing
02 Pilgrimage
03 There She Goes Again
04 7 Chinese Brothers
05 Talk About the Passion
06 Sitting Still
07 Harborcoat
08 Catapult
09 Gardening at Night
10 9-9
11 Just a Touch
12 West of the Fields
13 Radio Free Europe
14 We Walk
15 1,000,000
16 Carnival of Sorts (Box Cars)

4 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh I do love your subversive linkages! And I do believe you linked to the correct site for Angels and Airwaves as well.

The REM remaster, however, sounds utterly worthwhile.

Cup said...

Probably no surprise to read that this is my favorite album of all time, and I'm counting the minutes for this reissue!

Sean Wraight said...

There is no doubt in my mind that this will be a must own. I know how much I love the Larry's recording and to get it legitimately now is a terrific thing.

Plus we really have to support those 'Georgia boys'. They've given us so much great stuff over the years!

s

Anonymous said...

Love them or hate them, R.E.M has cultivated a solid career and since the early 80's loved by millions. I think this is a great addition to any fan collection.

I hyped it on Everhype and scored it 87% which I think is fairly accurate.

check my url please

I wouldn't mind getting some opinions on it . If you get on there, rate me a 5 & request friendship.