La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Saturday, October 11, 2008

There Had Better Be an Apple Store in Heaven

I have to admit, there is something about a great idea that really enlivens me. This one though is something extraordinarily near and dear to my heart. In fact, it’s one of the reasons I started this blog. This time though, author Tom Moon has put it into your hands.

Moon is the author of 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die a comprehensive book that compiles everything from Dimi Mint Abba and Khalifa Ould Eide to ZZ Top. He explains:


"The sort of selfish, secret part of the project for me was, 'Hey, I'm gonna do this. All of it is gonna be considered a bluffer's guide on some level, and certainly the classical entries will be that. And at the end of this, people will bitch and moan, but I will have had an education in classical music."
Moon also writes a blog on the book's official site. It's a hodgepodge of recommendations, anecdotes and must-hear performances he stumbles upon online. Definitely worth checking out… (My apologies in advance if your rack up a sizeable iTunes bill.)

But I’ll leave you with this. In the comments section, list two recordings that YOU think everyone should hear before dispatch to the great beyond. I’ll start the list with two that figure prominently in that great compendium playing in my head. The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions by Miles Davis and Radio City by Big Star. Pure and perfect, now if you have the time I have another nine hundred and ninety eight to tell you about.

4 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

This is not the easiest thing to keep at two. No wonder his list was 1000.

1. Puccini's O Mio Babbino Caro
2. Radiohead's Let Down

Both contain moments that make me hold my breath when I am listening, so that I don't miss that perfect moment.

Phronk said...

Sounds like a great book. There is no way I can think of two must-hear songs on the spot, but this will probably rattle in my head for a few days, so maybe I'll have some next time I visit here. :)

Sean Wraight said...

Barb - I'm with you there; Keeping it to two is difficult and was no easy task for me either. I love your picks too. OK Computer contains so many jaw dropping moments. Well done for isolating that one!

Phronk - No problem come back anytime. Open all night around here. :-)

Westcoast Walker said...

Wow - great minds think alike! I just posted on this book myself. I am utterly riveted by this book as well (the best $12 I ever spent). Upon initial perusal I was immediately humbled by my own musical ignorance when I read about some gems that I had never heard of. I think I will post shortly around my own "essentials" list.

We seem to have some smiliar tastes musically and it would be cool to connect and do a little blogothon around some mutual obsessions at some point.

Also - if you haven't heard it already, the two part feature on Moon's book on NPR's "All Songs Considered" is great and is available as a podcast.