La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Monday, April 27, 2009

Too Many People Grow Up


“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.”

Walt Disney


Somedays I forget what it’s like to be twelve years old and I am a poorer person for it. We celebrated my son Jack’s twelfth birthday this weekend and this morning as I struggled with a woebegone work project and the usual Monday morning headaches, it made me realize how much I miss that age. It really is the perfect age… It's just remembering that very fact that is so damned hard. But why? Why, despite every effort do I forget this?

I guess its just not in my nature. I need to rationalize it somehow right?
I sure realize one thing though, I am fortunate because I can live vicariously through Jack and maybe experience a little bit of it all over again. At least I hope. So remind me the next time you don’t brush your hair or forget to clean the catbox that being twelve is your priority, the rest of the stuff really isn’t that important. Not even close.

So Happy Birthday Jack… I’m the luckiest person in the world to have you in my life. Stay 12 for as long as you possibly can!

Love
Dad


3 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I think that has to be the finest part of parenthood, that chance to live vicariously through your kids, who guide you through those important memories that we have buried under the mundane.

What a lovely tribute to someone who seems like an amazing kid! You're gonna make us teary, Sean.

Happy Birthday, Jack, stay awesome! And your hair looks just fine as it is.

Allison said...

I was blissfully happy up until 14. Life consisted of being outside, riding bikes and building forts...but only until the street lights came on!

Its easy to get bogged down in the everyday reality that you can't just pick up and go for a bike ride in the middle of the workday, but there are these great moments, such as you describe here, when everything is that magical again.

Funny timing of this post, I was just watching Hook on tv and its echoing these same themes. ;)

Happy Birthday to you, Jack. That is a great photo with the cake! And I love the name Jack...good choice. :)

bloody awful poetry said...

Yeah, I mean, it's like these days I start looking at things and thinking about stuff from a ridiculously adult perspective (I don't know how to explain what an adult perspective IS but I'm sure you get it) and it scares me because I've always promised myself I'd never turn out to be one of those people who get totally disconnected from kids, as though they were just born old or something. And I'm too young to start feeling that.

Hope Jack had an awesome birthday though! 12, 'tis a fabulous age. My best wishes to him =)