La Sera - Break My Heart

Sic Alps - Glyphs

This is Pop Download-o-rama

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Life's Little Pleasures

“All good things which exist are the fruits of originality.”

Once again the stars have aligned, the clouds have parted and good things have come to me over the past couple of days. Quite literally too… And as many of you know, anything that touches the “blogger soul” will most likely become post fodder. This is no exception. Allow me to share…

I can say unequivocally that receiving mail is truly one of my life’s pleasures. Mind you, I really don’t get too excited when I receive my Bell telephone bill or that umpteenth credit card offer; it’s the tangible stuff that really gets me going and this week this fellow has been particularly fortunate. (Haaaaaaarrrrr mateys the booty be good!)

(Insert Price is Right showcase music here)


On Wednesday I received a copy of Tessa Brunton’s latest mini comic, In the Tall Grass – Number 04. You may have noted Tessa’s blog is linked on this one and for good reason. The woman is hugely talented and I urge all of you to check out her work. Even better, send a nice email or note, a few shekels her way and she’ll even send you one! Highly recommended, Tessa’s work is absolutely delightful. And won’t you feel special when she is a rich and famous and you can say you knew her when! (Thanks again Tessa!)


A big thank you as well to “Tenacious” Tim Turner and the good people at Grooves Records for their endless promotion of fine, indie music; Regularly hosting in-store performances of some of the best music out there today. Yesterday’s performance of Rock Plaza Central was such a treat for all of us. Hearing about song origins and rock star water bottle opening etiquette is near and dear to this bloggers heart and made for a terrific presentation. A big thank you to the band as well; a nicer bunch of rock star types would be hard to find.


Lastly, but not leastly a big thank you to Barbara Bruederlin, fellow blogger and music journalista extraordinaire; Yesterday my mail box overflowed with her creative greatness. Let’s see, via the Bad Tempered Zombie, I received a copy Lynn Coady’s wonderful story collection Play the Monster Blind as well as copies of the new Jon Rae Fletcher and NQ Arbuckle CD’s. Also included in the package and my personal highlight was the original artwork and card that so wonderfully and literally tied the whole package together. I’m very much looking forward to delving further into this package over the weekend. Good, good stuff, these riches most appreciated.

Friends, it is a privilege to know you and I thank all of you for your generosity.

I leave you with the words of poet and philosopher, one Alexander Chilton.

Thank you, friends
Wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you
I'm so grateful for all the things you helped me do.

All the ladies and gentlemen
Who made this all so probable

Thank you, friends
I rejoice to the skies
Dear ones like you do the best i do
As far as can see my eyes

All the ladies and gentlemen
Who made this all so probable

Without my friends i got chaos
I'm often a bead of light.
Without my friends i'd be swept up high by the wind

I am very grateful to have such talented and creative friends.

Merci.

SW

4 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

There is obviously a reason why people feel inspired to send you things, Sean, and it's not just because you are adorable. As Mr Chilton so eloquently put it, we wouldn't be here at all if it weren't for friends. And friends like you act as a sounding board. It's so liberating to have friends at whom you can throw the spaghetti and see what sticks.

And Tessa's comics stuck with me upon first glance, I'm certainly visiting her more often.

Allison said...

I've had a brilliant mail month, between your parcel and Barb's (hey, that card looks familiar) I've been showered in goodness. I need to return my mail karma this summer!!

Tessa's comment caught my eye too, I must click over to her site now.

Isn't it great that we have such wonderful friends who encourage us to think outside the box?

amityb said...

Sean, your enthusiasm and passion for music, art and all the good stuff of life are inspiring beyond words. You will no doubt always have friends that will gladly shower you with their projects and creations. I'll have to make sure Tessa has seen your post--she'll be extremely flattered.

QuickBooker Lara said...

Save up to 70% on star Australia hotels at QuickBooker.com! Instant confirmation and 24/7 Customer Support. Book online and get best deals and offers on Star Hotels Sydney, Australia.